NYS Inspections are available every day at Empire Harley-Davidson. NO APPOINTMENT REQUIRED.
Mandatory vehicle conditions: New York state minimum requirements
The following items are some of the most common reasons for a vehicle to fail a New York state safety inspection. These reasons are top safety concerns and having them addressed should be a priority to ensure a safe riding season.
- One left hand mirror, with no visible cracking or damage that impairs driver visibility.
- Minimum 2/32" tread on all vehicle tires.
- All lights on the vehicle, including accessory lights, are operational. This includes turn signs, high beams, low beams and running lamps.
- Tires tread and side walls are free of corrosion and dry rot.
- Front end suspension, also known as forks, are clear of oil and seals are not leaking.
- The drive chain or belt is properly aligned, within adjustment and not overly worn or un-adjustable.
- The steering head bearings and handlebar bushings must be properly adjusted and cannot be worn beyond the point of safely operating on the vehicle.
- The vehicle brake pads can not be metal to metal and may not be glazed over, cracked or broken.
These and additional vehicle requirements are listed at the DMV site